• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Black Holes: Some Recent Observations

Testing General Relativity with Pulsars - AAS Nova
noting
The Orbital-decay Test of General Relativity to the 2% Level with 6 yr VLBA Astrometry of the Double Neutron Star PSR J1537+1155 - IOPscience

Earlier measurements of the inspiral rate had a 9% difference with GR. But it was difficult to model what kind of galactic orbit this pulsar has. Lao Ding and his colleagues decided to resolve this issue by finding the parallax of this pulsar using the Very Large Baseline Array (VLBA), a set of radio telescopes with outputs combined to make them act like a single Earth-sized radio telescope. With the VLBA, they found a very precise position for this pulsar, and the watched it change over a year to measure its parallax. They found its distance to be 0.94 kiloparsecs (3,066 light years). This enabled them to model its galactic orbit much better, and to get that 2% of agreement.

List of pulsars in binary systems
The two neutron stars in PSR J1537+1155 have masses 1.333 and 1.345 Msun.

Gravitational-wave detection

I'd mentioned the detection of G-wave events earlier, events caused by inspiraling black holes and/or neutron stars.

GW170817 - two neutron stars merging. They made a gamma-ray burst that arrived 1.3 seconds after the G-wave event, thus constraining differences in their speeds to around 10-15.

A different sort of detection was recently made by correlating pulsar timings: Physics - Researchers Capture Gravitational-Wave Background with Pulsar “Antennae” - pulsars in different directions have correlations that vary like what one expects of a random collection of G-waves with GR-like polarizations.

Remarkable how well GR has held up.

The cheap wristwatch provided by my employer runs fast by about 15 sec/week. This is comprised of:

50 mcsec/d time dilatation effect from the Earth's nearby gravitational field, + 2.143 s/d from the Chinese manufacturer not giving a shit.
I don't know where that first number comes from, so I decided to calculate it.

For 1 meter difference in elevation on our planet, time dilation is 1.09*10-16 or 3.44 nanoseconds per year.

For 1 kilometer, that is 1.09*10-13 or 3.44 microseconds per year.

Most of Australia's cities are on the coast, with the largest exception being Canberra at about 578 meters. That means 6.3*10-14 or 1.99 mcsec/year faster than sea level.

Several of China's cities are also on the coast, though it has some inland ones with elevations around 400 meters, like Chengdu and Xi'an.

How accurate is a quartz clock? - Quora

A few seconds to tens of seconds per year, about 10-7 to 10-6.

The cheap wristwatch provided by my employer runs fast by about 15 sec/week. This is comprised of:

50 mcsec/d time dilatation effect from the Earth's nearby gravitational field, + 2.143 s/d from the Chinese manufacturer not giving a shit.
I don't know where that first number comes from, so I decided to calculate it.

For 1 meter difference in elevation on our planet, time dilation is 1.09*10-16 or 3.44 nanoseconds per year.

For 1 kilometer, that is 1.09*10-13 or 3.44 microseconds per year.

Most of Australia's cities are on the coast, with the largest exception being Canberra at about 578 meters. That means 6.3*10-14 or 1.99 mcsec/year faster than sea level.

Several of China's cities are also on the coast, though it has some inland ones with elevations around 400 meters, like Chengdu and Xi'an.

How accurate is a quartz clock? - Quora

A few seconds to tens of seconds per year, about 10-7 to 10-6.
I would think you would need to specify latitude to capture all the effects from relativity.

Back
Top Bottom