• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

We are overloading the planet: Now What?

I think Infidels will be interested in this, but wasn't sure where to post it. This seemed to be the appropriate thread. The problem of poisonous lead in the atmosphere was about ten times worse than it would have been with only one-tenth the population. The same thing is true of other long-term poisons, and even problems we now know nothing about. Overpopulation is bad, especially with the huge "footprint" technological man insists on.
But why would you expect it not to have taken 10x as long to figure out lead was bad?

Et tu, Loren?

As for "figuring out that lead was bad", I forget: During which part of the 20th century did the ancient Roman Vitrivius live?

Vitruvius (translated) said:
Water conducted through earthen pipes is more wholesome than that through lead; indeed that conveyed in lead must be injurious, because from it white lead [PbCO3, lead carbonate] is obtained, and this is said to be injurious to the human system. Hence, if what is generated from it is pernicious, there can be no doubt that itself cannot be a wholesome body. This may be verified by observing the workers in lead, who are of a pallid colour; for in casting lead, the fumes from it fixing on the different members, and daily burning them, destroy the vigour of the blood; water should therefore on no account be conducted in leaden pipes if we are desirous that it should be wholesome. That the flavour of that conveyed in earthen pipes is better, is shewn at our daily meals, for all those whose tables are furnished with silver vessels, nevertheless use those made of earth, from the purity of the flavour being preserved in them.
But they went ahead and used it anyway. Somebody figuring it out doesn't equal wide acceptance.

I think Infidels will be interested in this, but wasn't sure where to post it. This seemed to be the appropriate thread. The problem of poisonous lead in the atmosphere was about ten times worse than it would have been with only one-tenth the population. The same thing is true of other long-term poisons, and even problems we now know nothing about. Overpopulation is bad, especially with the huge "footprint" technological man insists on.
But why would you expect it not to have taken 10x as long to figure out lead was bad?

Et tu, Loren?

As for "figuring out that lead was bad", I forget: During which part of the 20th century did the ancient Roman Vitrivius live?

Vitruvius (translated) said:
Water conducted through earthen pipes is more wholesome than that through lead; indeed that conveyed in lead must be injurious, because from it white lead [PbCO3, lead carbonate] is obtained, and this is said to be injurious to the human system. Hence, if what is generated from it is pernicious, there can be no doubt that itself cannot be a wholesome body. This may be verified by observing the workers in lead, who are of a pallid colour; for in casting lead, the fumes from it fixing on the different members, and daily burning them, destroy the vigour of the blood; water should therefore on no account be conducted in leaden pipes if we are desirous that it should be wholesome. That the flavour of that conveyed in earthen pipes is better, is shewn at our daily meals, for all those whose tables are furnished with silver vessels, nevertheless use those made of earth, from the purity of the flavour being preserved in them.
But they went ahead and used it anyway. Somebody figuring it out doesn't equal wide acceptance.
And he was right for the wrong reasons.

Lead doesn't "destroy the vigour of the blood" (though acute lead poisoning can lead to anaemia). The neurological effects are of far more importance to health than the hematopoietic ones.

The ancient world is full of medical and healthy living advice, and it's no surprise that some of it (by pure luck) is still valid; Almost none of it, however, is based on sound scientific principles, and none of it should be mistaken for knowledge.

Vitruvius also believed in what would later become the Miasmatic Theory of disease, and thought that bad smells from swampland were the cause of poor health:
Vitruvius said:
For when the morning breezes blow toward the town at sunrise, if they bring with them mist from marshes and, mingled with the mist, the poisonous breath of creatures of the marshes to be wafted into the bodies of the inhabitants, they will make the site unhealthy.

Researchers from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) warned the global fertility rate — the number of children born per woman — is plummeting, leaving the world at risk of economic collapse. The problem is particularly acute in wealthy nations. In the UK, the birth rate is predicted to fall to 1.3 children per woman of childbearing age by 2100, well below the replacement level of 2.1 children

Daily Mail

Western Europe is in screwed.

Researchers from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) warned the global fertility rate — the number of children born per woman — is plummeting, leaving the world at risk of economic collapse. The problem is particularly acute in wealthy nations. In the UK, the birth rate is predicted to fall to 1.3 children per woman of childbearing age by 2100, well below the replacement level of 2.1 children

Daily Mail

In the UK, the birth rate is predicted to fall to 1.3 children per woman of childbearing age by 2100, well below the replacement level of 2.1 children

The abottoirs of BPAS will keep the UK population in check at least.

A record 252,122 abortions were recorded in England and Wales in 2022, with Britain's cost of living crisis to blame, according to charities. This figure is about 17 per cent higher than the previous year, itself another record breaker since the Abortion Act was introduced in the 60s. It's equivalent to one in every 50 women in England and Wales between the age of 15 to 44 having a termination.

Daily Mail

Since the native population will not produce children to sustain itself, the job of carrying a child to birth will be outsourced to third world countries.

Daily Mail

In the UK, the birth rate is predicted to fall to 1.3 children per woman of childbearing age by 2100, well below the replacement level of 2.1 children

Daily Mail

Since the native population will not produce children to sustain itself, the job of carrying a child to birth will be outsourced to third world countries.
And at the same time AI is going to take all our jobs.

Daily Mail

Daily Mail

And at the same time AI is going to take all our jobs.

Something has to give. I have a feeling there will be substantial unrest in the not too distant future.

Yes, civil unrest is likely, but
What are the Specific Threats?
Something has to give. I have a feeling there will be substantial unrest in the not too distant future.

Finally I find myself agreeing with TSwizzle! Let "in the not too distant future" translate as "by Spring 2026" and substantial unrest being, sorted by decreasing likelihood:
  • Repressions (and the reactions thereto) by Trump-controlled FedGov and Trump-aligned states. This category admits very broad ranges in severity and nature.
  • Violent or otherwise criminal insurrections by Trump-aligned fomenters, con-men, gullibles, bigots and criminals.
  • "Stop the Steal, the Sequel" plays out, on a scale hitherto-unimagined.
  • Anti-American riots in European and Arab countries
  • increased American poverty or feelings of rejection can lead to unrest.
  • (scenarios 6, 7, 8, 9 ?)
  • (Stealing or Stop-the-Steal insurrection by the Blues vs the Red. I show this in parentheses lest I'm thought to have overlooked it. There are at least four scenarios more likely than this which I've also excluded from this Top Five Threat List.)
The categories are not mutually exclusive. Indeed having ALL five of the five above types of unrest is not unlikely.

I'm sure the List is Incomplete.
Fellow Infidels, Please Help Correct and Complete the Top Eight List of Civil Unrest likely between now and Spring 2026.

The US is playing its part too;

Abortions are on the rise in the United States, despite bans that have taken effect in more than a dozen states since the US Supreme Court’s Dobbs decision that revoked the federal right to abortion in June 2022. There were more than 1 million abortions in the US in 2023, the highest rate in more than a decade and a 10% jump from 2020, according to a report released Tuesday by the Guttmacher Institute, a research and policy organization focused on sexual and reproductive health that supports abortion rights. The new reports from Guttmacher estimate abortion trends based on responses from a sample of abortion providers in the US. They probably undercount the number of abortions in the US, as the data does not include abortions that happen outside of the formal health care system or medication abortions that were sent to people in states where abortion is banned.

CNN

Beep Beep Beep
Yes commissioner Gordon, this is Batman.
Batman, the Tswizzler is back in Gotham City, and he is up to his old tricks.
We'll be right there commissioner.

Robbin, to the bat poles.

What next? What we are seeing right now.

Dramatic reporting of natural disasters with dramatic background music and gravitas. Progressive politicians posturing and enacting measures that are going to have little effect in the long run certainly not in the short term. .

Consumption will continue to grow. The majority of people will keep om dong what they are doing. A hot topic in the news is the cost of tickets for concerts and the cost of Memorial Day barbecue.

For decades the Army engineers tried to control the Mississippi River and failed. The govt ended up buying out land on the river prone to flooding.

Some US coastal area will become uninhabitable.

We need a new acronym: FTDSDS.
Fictitious Trump Derangement Syndrome Derangement Syndrome.

You should have "climate change" at number one.

jeezus the TDS is strong with this one.
The TDS is out of control everywhere. There was a time when I would point it out, but no more. I think this is the one where I lost all hope of keeping up.

Oh yes. I should have included TDS in the list of likely civil insurrections!

I completely forgot about the time a Biden supporter broke into MTG's house with a hammer hoping to bash her brains in. I completely forgot about January 2017 when Antifa and the ACLU descended on the Capitol, planning to lynch V.P. Joe Biden if he didn't declare Hillary Clinton the winner of the election. I've forgotten about all the tweets by Biden on the Dark Web, lying about Trump and inciting insurrection. Geeez: How could I have forgotten all that??

Spoiler: Because it never happened. Trump and the gullible morons who support him are literally planning a fascist take-over of America in response to a fictitious "TDS", while those allegedly suffering from "TDS" are committing atrocities like allowing Gay people to use public restrooms.

What laughing-stocks America's "conservatives" have turned into.

The TDS is out of control everywhere. There was a time when I would point it out, but no more. I think this is the one where I lost all hope of keeping up.
Guilty. I still can't believe he was president of the US. It's completely mind blowing to me. That someone would vote for him in the upcoming election is even more bizarre. I've learned a lot about people though - and I've realized I was pretty naive about how people think politically.

Another thing I have learned (confirmed) is that a capitalist based economic system is a house of cards - purely reactive. Add a decreasing population to the list of things it cannot handle. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing caves from social media, nevermind pandemics or war.

I guess somehow banning abortion is going to save the white race from depopulating itself?

Last edited:

Guilty. I still can't believe he was president of the US. It's completely mind blowing to me. That someone would vote for him in the upcoming election is even more bizarre. I've learned a lot about people though - and I've realized I've was pretty naive about how people think politically.

Another thing I have learned (confirmed) is that a capitalist based economic system is a house of cards - purely reactive. Add a decreasing population to the list of things it cannot handle. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing caves from social media, nevermind pandemics or war.

I guess somehow banning abortion is going to save the white race from depopulating itself?
Guilty, 10x and looking for more.
In my 7½ decades, the only "leader" that can compete with trump for sheer evil (or immorality if you prefer) would have been Pol Pot, and at least he had a position. And of course all his misdeeds happened far far away.
I am really jaded by the fact that the rest of this country has not risen up against the fat orange pig, Yet.
I am doubtful that TDS is even possible, give the orange buffoon's capacity for malevolence, immorality and yes, EVIL.

Guilty. I still can't believe he was president of the US. It's completely mind blowing to me. That someone would vote for him in the upcoming election is even more bizarre. I've learned a lot about people though - and I've realized I've was pretty naive about how people think politically.

In my 7½ decades, the only "leader" that can compete with trump for sheer evil (or immorality if you prefer) would have been Pol Pot, and at least he had a position. And of course all his misdeeds happened far far away.
Whilst I think Trump is a clown extraordinaire, to compare Trump to Pol Pot is just stupid.
What is the Trumpean equivalent of the Killing Fields?
If you need to make such comparison I am beginning to think that the TDS exists in some people.

Mostly copied from www.verywellmind.com/how-to-recognize-a-malignant-narcissist-4164528

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
  • Belief that one is unique or special and should only associate with other people of the same status
  • Constant need for attention, affirmation, and praise
  • Exaggerated sense of one's own abilities and achievements
  • Exploiting other people for personal gain
  • Feeling envious of others, or believing that others are envious of them
  • Lack of empathy for others
  • Persistent fantasies about attaining success and power
  • Preoccupation with power or success
  • Sense of entitlement and expectation of special treatment

Causes of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Some early life experiences are thought to contribute to narcissistic personality disorder, including:
  • Abuse or trauma
  • Excessive praise
  • Lack of an authentically validating environment
  • Parental overindulgence
  • Unreliable parenting
Genetics and biology are also thought to play a considerable role, although the exact causes are likely complex and varied.

There are several types of NPD. Among these Trump as been diagnosed to suffer from Malignant Narcissism Disorder:

So how does malignant narcissism differ from narcissism? The primary difference is that while narcissism involves symptoms of grandiosity and low empathy for others, a malignant narcissist tends to have more severe symptoms as well as symptoms of other co-occurring personality disorders.

Among the different types, people with malignant narcissism are by far the most harmful to others. Social psychologist Erich Fromm, who first coined the term malignant narcissism, called people with this type "the quintessence of evil."

Goerge F, Short D. The cognitive neuroscience of narcissism. J Brain Behav Cogn Sci. 2018;1(6).

People with this subtype contain the general traits of NPD, including regular egocentricity. They also have antisocial traits and even a sadistic streak, as well as a poor sense of self and lack of empathy. There is often some paranoia involved with malignant narcissism as well.

Some experts see little difference between malignant narcissism and psychopathy in that both have antisocial behavior and low empathy.
[/QUOTE]

Whilst I think Trump is a clown extraordinaire, to compare Trump to Pol Pot is just stupid.
What is the Trumpean equivalent of the Killing Fields?
If you need to make such comparison I am beginning to think that the TDS exists in some people.
To be fair, he hasn't gotten to that point yet. There still yet may be a holiday in Cambodia America.

Back
Top Bottom