• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Which movie did you watch today and how would you rate it?

I watched a silent online, The Stolen Play from 1917, starring Ruth Roland, who was mostly known for serials. This thing runs 59 minutes, and the print quality is near perfect. It is also unusually foolish, even for 1917. All about hypnosis, murder, and a Broadway agent who has a dungeon room in his basement. In other words, what used to be called camp. For laughs, try to decide who is giving the worst performance -- my vote went to Lucy Blake, who plays the villain's ex-lover. For more laughs, look at the awful women's fashions and hair styles on display. For these poor actresses, the 20s couldn't come soon enough.

Cutthroat Island (1995)
A big budget pirate movie.
Co-financed by US, Italian, German, French studios. Filmed in UK, Thailand, Malta.
I missed this in 1995. It was not advertised very much. (lost 90 million)
A lot of swashbuckling fun. Geena Davis as the lead pirate.

Cutthroat Island (1995)
Co-financed by US, Italian, German, French studios. Filmed in UK, Thailand, Malta.
I seem to remember that. I don't think I actually watched the movie though.

Cutthroat Island (1995)
I seem to remember that. I don't think I actually watched the movie though.
I didn't see it but I recall the hubbub about it was that it was hugely overbudget, was hard to watch and hardly made any money. Oddly enough, it was directed by the same guy who directed Die Hard, which was very successful.

I just saw Cutthroat Island this weekend, online. A lot of scenic locations, lot of stunts/action, little or no CGI (1995).
I especially liked the chariot escape through the city, and the ship to ship battle.

I watched it and liked it when it was new. Most people apparently didn't. Cutthroat Island is a famous money loser.

The Last Stop in Yuma County 9/10
Takes place in the mid 70s and the writing is spot on for a 70s flick. A good movie that takes place in the middle of nowhere where folks are sitting in a diner all waiting on a fuel delivery next door at the gas station. But two of the patrons just robbed a bank. And the waitress at the diner is married to the sheriff. And there is a divorced traveling knife salesman on his way to his daughter's birthday party in Carlsbad, CA. And a young couple who aspire to make their mark in the world of crime. Oh, and half the people in the diner are armed.

*Wikipedia give away too much of the plot.

In the past week I've watched Kill Bill and Kill Bill 2. Not doing that again, and I only did it this once because I wanted to see why people like Tarentino.

I can almost see it.

Bit confused, though. I thought one of these films had the scene with Travolta and Thurman dancing.

What have I got mixed up with?
To me, those films are close to Tarantino at his worst; self indulgent, way too over the top, and grossly excessive.

As others have said, Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are great earlier works of his. I'd also recommend Django, the Hateful 8, and especially Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Inglorious Basterds definitely has its moments, particularly the riveting opening scene, but I'd see the aforementioned before seeing it.

Yesterday I saw one of the WORST movies EVER...It's called "The Silver Chalice"...:oops:

Available buy, rent, Netflix, You tube , Hulu, Prime, etc...Considered one of the worst Paul Newman movies...
Did I mention the sets? :oops:

Infinite (2021)
There are about 500 'Iunfinites' in the world. Who can reincarnate and remember all their past lives.
Devided into two factions. 'Believers' who want to help mankind. And 'Nileists' who are sick of reincanting, and want to end it.
Both sound like the christuan death cult to me.
Major plot hole:
The nileist leader tries to end his personal madness, and has two weapons at his diposal:
(A) a bullet shaped devise that can be shot into the brain of an infinite and steal their memories/soul, and lock them onto a computer chip.
Thus preventing them from reincarting. Which he has done to about 200 believers.
(B) An egg shaped devise that will desintagrate all DNA on the earth. Leaving no bodys to reincarnate into.
Asshole choses B destroying all life. insead of just having himself put on a chip and lost.
Lesser plot hole:
In the begining of the film. Hero steal the egg and hides it, instead of just destroying it.
When villian reaquires the egg he runs away with it instead of using it first chance.
So hero gets it again, and learned his lession, so finaly destroyed it. The End.
Unexplained: Remembering past lives has somehow enabled Infinits to devilope advanced tech. Which "we want to help mankind" believers haven't shaired with anyone.
My rating 4/10.

Oops...
I have just discovered the TV thread and now realize that I have posted a few TV series in this thread.
Sorry.

Dune ?/10

The "?" is because I couldn't finish it. I still have an hour left to go (runtime of 2 hours, 46 minutes).

Overall, I like the movie so far. My biggest gripe is it really could've cut a 30-45 minutes off it's runtime and not lost a thing. It just goes on and on and on with repetitive shit. It's like if The Godfather would've had three sons killed instead of Sonny, thereby adding an 40 minutes. IOW, we get the idea, now let's move ahead.

Scenes that could've taken 2-3 minutes last 5. Etc.

I give it a recommend because it is well made, but put on a pot of coffee.

Back
Top Bottom