ideologyhunter
Contributor
David French had a piece in the NYT a few months ago in which he spelled out how Trump, with help from John Thune and Mike Johnson, could overturn Democrat victories and retain power. He notes that Article I, Section 5 of the Constitution states that:
"Each house shall be the judge of the elections, returns, and qualifications of its own members." This means a Republican House and Senate decide who gets seated. French further notes that this means "a Republican majority can decide by a simple vote to seat Republican election losers even if they present no good proof for their challenge" and that "these decisions are not reviewable by any other branch of government, including the courts."
I should note that I didn't see the exact language for those last two points in the Constitution.
If he is right, then Trump could stir up his cauldron of fraudulent claims about any number of Democrat winners, claim fraud, and instruct the House and Senate to seat the (Republican) losers.
You've have to be a born fool not to know that Trump and his enablers would certainly stoop that low; we've seen them go lower time and time again.
Is this as dangerous as it appears? Is it something the Trumpists could pull off, with no redress?
I'm hoping that some member who has taken Constitutional law (or at least studied the thing in a more recent time frame than I have) can confirm or contradict what French stated.
"Each house shall be the judge of the elections, returns, and qualifications of its own members." This means a Republican House and Senate decide who gets seated. French further notes that this means "a Republican majority can decide by a simple vote to seat Republican election losers even if they present no good proof for their challenge" and that "these decisions are not reviewable by any other branch of government, including the courts."
I should note that I didn't see the exact language for those last two points in the Constitution.
If he is right, then Trump could stir up his cauldron of fraudulent claims about any number of Democrat winners, claim fraud, and instruct the House and Senate to seat the (Republican) losers.
You've have to be a born fool not to know that Trump and his enablers would certainly stoop that low; we've seen them go lower time and time again.
Is this as dangerous as it appears? Is it something the Trumpists could pull off, with no redress?
I'm hoping that some member who has taken Constitutional law (or at least studied the thing in a more recent time frame than I have) can confirm or contradict what French stated.