• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

South Dakota governer executed her puppy because she didn't like it

Doesn’t sound like it was a real working dog, just a poorly trained pet with a strong prey drive. There is a national rescue for that breed that would gladly rehome an adolescent that a shitty owner can’t handle.

The chickens sound like pets too. A farmer would take the check to reimburse the loss and move on. Chickens are commodities on a real farm.

My parents worked tobacco on a little dirt farm in Carterette County back in the late 60s. The guy they worked for shot dogs that didn’t hunt right. But that was a different time and his dogs existed to help put meat on the table by running deer and treeing bears.

That isn’t the situation with this little debutant with her expensive name brand breed. She wrote that into the book because she wants the image of a hardscrabble dirt farmer like the people my parents worked for. She might as well be Mehmet Oz campaigning in Pennsyltuckey at this point.

This is the deranged harpy who went full-Trump during covid, denying that masks helped while asking for a full exploration of the curative powers of hydroxychloroquine, and who now salivates about being Veep in a glorious new Trump monarchy. I'd be amazed if she got it, because her state isn't a plum swing state, and the party probably still has a case of Palin dyspepsia. Also, Trump probably confuses Kristi with Nikki. But stranger things have happened in the MAGA kingdom.

Whatever the circumstances were, here's my question: what kind of empty headed reasoning does it take to put these incidences in a book? The decision to write about this is utterly bereft of even the most minimal good judgment. It indicates that such a person has no business being in charge of anything more than possibly being allowed to bathe themselves.

More, who the fuck approved it for publishing? That is, what editor, publisher, and party members took a look at that and believed it a good idea? "Oh yeah, killing a young dog and taking two shots to kill a goat; mmmm, that's the good stuff!"

Ten years ago, this doesn't happen. Someone in the GOP would've seen it and threatened to pull her funding if she even spoke about it publicly. Hell, no politician would've even considered talking, let alone writing about it.

Yet, here we are.

Whatever the circumstances were, here's my question: what kind of empty headed reasoning does it take to put these incidences in a book? The decision to write about this is utterly bereft of even the most minimal good judgment. It indicates that such a person has no business being in charge of anything more than possibly being allowed to bathe themselves.

More, who the fuck approved it for publishing? That is, what editor, publisher, and party members took a look at that and believed it a good idea? "Oh yeah, killing a young dog and taking two shots to kill a goat; mmmm, that's the good stuff!"

Ten years ago, this doesn't happen. Someone in the GOP would've seen it and threatened to pull her funding if she even spoke about it publicly. Hell, no politician would've even considered talking, let alone writing about it.

Yet, here we are.

It’s because people like this alleged woman have correctly deduced that cruelty, sadism, narcissism and psychopathy play well with the MAGA mob.

My parents worked tobacco on a little dirt farm in Carterette County back in the late 60s. The guy they worked for shot dogs that didn’t hunt right. But that was a different time and his dogs existed to help put meat on the table by running deer and treeing bears.

That isn’t the situation with this little debutant with her expensive name brand breed. She wrote that into the book because she wants the image of a hardscrabble dirt farmer like the people my parents worked for. She might as well be Mehmet Oz campaigning in Pennsyltuckey at this point.

My cousin's husband once went and got his gun when a dog had been hit by a car in front of their house in Kansas City back in the 80s. The poor thing was dying, and he "put it out of it's misery." I can understand that.

On the other hand, my cousin ran a doberman rescue for many years, taking in dogs that had been mistreated by people who either got one because it "looked badass" or used it as a guard dog, or abused it when the poor thing didn't live up to expectations. They'd rehabilitate them, socialize them with other dogs and people, and then - after a lengthy vetting process - give them new homes. My mom had one of their rescues, and that girl looked like 100 pounds of death incarnate....until she curled up on the sofa with her blanket. Such a sweet dog.

But this is not that. If you raise a dog from a pup, and it is "aggressive" or "untrainable," then the problem is not the dog. The problem is you.

I wonder if Kristi is, in a somewhat subtle way, comparing her handling of an aggressive "bitey" dog to that of Joe Biden's (frankly incompetent and reckless) handling of his aggressive dog, Commander?

How Is Joe Biden’s Dog Not Dead Yet?

Commander Biden—the German shepherd adopted by President Joe Biden and the first lady—has terrorized the White House to levels not seen since, at least, Dolley Madison’s violent macaw. Rumors of Commander’s “biting problem” have leaked from the nation’s capital since the moment the pup took up residence in late 2021. Consider, if you will, this report from last autumn, where the interloping canine took a chunk out of a Secret Service agent for the 11th time on record. Now, thanks to a recent investigation conducted by CNN, we know the full extent of Commander’s bloodlust: The newsroom unearthed records revealing that Commander attacked presidential personnel on at least 24 separate occasions. Mathematically speaking, that means Commander is liable to fly off the handle about twice a month. These are not small bites, either: One Secret Service agent required six stitches in his forearm after Commander caused a “severe deep open wound” and a “significant amount of blood loss.” White House tours were shut down.

As to those who say Kristi wasn't doing enough as an owner...

In fact, there is no guarantee that the best trainers—or the most patient owners—can totally stop the violence. “The prognosis is: maybe,” Madson put it. That’s why “behavioral euthanasia,” as the veterinary community calls it, is an option for those who have reached their wits’ end. It’s a controversial topic among pet owners, but when a house is unsafe for children and the elderly because of a German shepherd, putting the pet down—for everyone’s sake—might be the most humane course of action for all parties involved. In fact, Madson said that a dog with Commander’s record certainly fits the bill.

“For a dog with this number of bites, and the level of severity, a regular dog owner would be dealing with the question of behavioral euthanasia already,” she said. “Management always fails at some point. You might leave the door open. A dog might jump over the gate. And if you have management failure, you think about the worst thing that could happen. That’s what we would look at.”

And for those who think just dropping the dog off at a rescue organization is the solution...

Pike added that it is difficult to rehome canines with a troubled past, even through rescue organizations: “They won’t take dogs with a history of bites. Most people looking to adopt won’t, either. So a lot of owners are put in a position where they have to choose between either keeping the dog or behaviorally euthanizing.”

Also, the OP is just a tad on the polemic side, isn't it? Terms like "death sentence", "execution" for what is otherwise known as "putting a dog down". And calling it a "dog she does not like" as opposed to a "dangerous dog". Not to mention some important info from the article is missing in the OP. Like the fact that the chickens were not just attacked, but killed. And Kristi herself was bitten by the dog. Frankly, that dog is a lawsuit waiting to happen, and perhaps a risk to her kids and/or her kids' friends. As a parent, and as much as I like dogs, I wouldn't keep it around in the (probably false) hope that training will fix him.

The conservative in this instance made the easy choice the evolutionary Darwin decision based on only fittest will survive. Removing a chicking eating dog from the reproduction pool of other fit animals who don't eat chickens.

The “hard” option was to take the time and care to properly train the dog. show Christian compassion, to save a dog that is not nearly as fit as others .
Honestly, I love animals myself and believe they are Gods gift to all of us. But for all the do gooders out there, at least be more honest with what this is all really about. Because there are real consequences even for acting compassionate.
WTF are babbling about Darwinian selection? as Politesse pointed out, this is not about evolution or survival of the fittest.

It is about a smug stupid lazy jackass who confuses her incompetence with “making a hard choice”.
Of course it is about evolution. Humans (both smart and stupid) are an integral part of the theory of evolution just like the rest of the animal knigdom. Human actors also affect other animals as part of their natural selection. If a human kills a dog how is that any difference to a shark killing a dumb human in its waters?

The whole point of evolution is to sift out the non fit actors who should not reproduce.
That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. Are you possibly being sarcastic?

A decent human being would have offered up the dog as a family pet, not on a farm where it might encounter the same drive to go after chickens. Certainly not have put it down in front of a construction crew and bragged about it in a book.
But it had bit her.

I do agree that she horribly mismanaged the situation but I don't think it was suitable as a pet at that point. Where she went wrong was allowing it to reach that point.

I wonder if Kristi is, in a somewhat subtle way, comparing her handling of an aggressive "bitey" dog to that of Joe Biden's (frankly incompetent and reckless) handling of his aggressive dog, Commander?

Is it actually a bad dog or are they taking out their hate of Biden out on the dog and it's reacting?

A decent human being would have offered up the dog as a family pet, not on a farm where it might encounter the same drive to go after chickens. Certainly not have put it down in front of a construction crew and bragged about it in a book.
But it had bit her.

I do agree that she horribly mismanaged the situation but I don't think it was suitable as a pet at that point. Where she went wrong was allowing it to reach that point.
I haven’t read her book and don’t intend to.

Dog bites sometimes are the result of an unstable dog. Sometimes, such dogs cannot be made safe. But sometimes, and probably more often, a dog bite is the result of bad handling by the human or being put in an overly stressful situation. A bite does not mean a dog must be destroyed. Repeated biting: depends.

Commander Biden—the German shepherd adopted by President Joe Biden and the first lady—has terrorized the White House to levels not seen since, at least, Dolley Madison’s violent macaw. Rumors of Commander’s “biting problem” have leaked from the nation’s capital since the moment the pup took up residence in late 2021. Consider, if you will, this report from last autumn, where the interloping canine took a chunk out of a Secret Service agent for the 11th time on record. Now, thanks to a recent investigation conducted by CNN, we know the full extent of Commander’s bloodlust: The newsroom unearthed records revealing that Commander attacked presidential personnel on at least 24 separate occasions. Mathematically speaking, that means Commander is liable to fly off the handle about twice a month. These are not small bites, either: One Secret Service agent required six stitches in his forearm after Commander caused a “severe deep open wound” and a “significant amount of blood loss.” White House tours were shut down.

As to those who say Kristi wasn't doing enough as an owner...

In fact, there is no guarantee that the best trainers—or the most patient owners—can totally stop the violence. “The prognosis is: maybe,” Madson put it. That’s why “behavioral euthanasia,” as the veterinary community calls it, is an option for those who have reached their wits’ end. It’s a controversial topic among pet owners, but when a house is unsafe for children and the elderly because of a German shepherd, putting the pet down—for everyone’s sake—might be the most humane course of action for all parties involved. In fact, Madson said that a dog with Commander’s record certainly fits the bill.

“For a dog with this number of bites, and the level of severity, a regular dog owner would be dealing with the question of behavioral euthanasia already,” she said. “Management always fails at some point. You might leave the door open. A dog might jump over the gate. And if you have management failure, you think about the worst thing that could happen. That’s what we would look at.”

And for those who think just dropping the dog off at a rescue organization is the solution...

Pike added that it is difficult to rehome canines with a troubled past, even through rescue organizations: “They won’t take dogs with a history of bites. Most people looking to adopt won’t, either. So a lot of owners are put in a position where they have to choose between either keeping the dog or behaviorally euthanizing.”

Also, the OP is just a tad on the polemic side, isn't it? Terms like "death sentence", "execution" for what is otherwise known as "putting a dog down". And calling it a "dog she does not like" as opposed to a "dangerous dog". Not to mention some important info from the article is missing in the OP. Like the fact that the chickens were not just attacked, but killed. And Kristi herself was bitten by the dog. Frankly, that dog is a lawsuit waiting to happen, and perhaps a risk to her kids and/or her kids' friends. As a parent, and as much as I like dogs, I wouldn't keep it around in the (probably false) hope that training will fix him.
Or the far more likely scenario: a dog bred to hunt birds, after minimal effort to train (having it watch older dogs is not training), sees some chickens and instinctually attacks and kills them. The owner, with hate (her words) coursing through her veins, goes after the dog like a maniac to stop it and it bites her in her hateful frenzy. The hate turns into rage at the dog's defiance and a rush of thoughts about death and killing course though her mind. She ties up the dog in the gravel pit and grabs her shotgun and kills it in a fury.

And for those trying to defend this by saying some dogs are dangerous and can't be helped, and killing it can be the best out of all the bad options, you are completely missing what makes this story distrubing.

Steps a non-psychopath takes before resorting to killing their dog:

1. Hire professional trainer. If they conclude the dog is untrainable and dangerous, and there is no more that can be done, go to step 2. If money is low and/or time is short, can go straight to step 2.

2. See if someone else wants to give it a try in a new home, fully disclose the issues. Post on craigslist and/or pet adoption websites. If no one is found, go to step 3.

3. Contact a shelter and see if they are willing to try to find it a home after explaining the story. If no, go to step 4.

4. Ask a vet to euthanize the animal in a safe and humane way after explaining the story. Usually the non-psychopath will feel very sad at this point, they gave it their best, but in the end little Cricket just wasn't meant for this world. They will often make the burial of the dog a family event as well.

As far as we can tell, the governer didn't even make it to step one and seemingly felt nothing for the dog (other than a lot of hate, in her own words). On top of that, somehow thought that telling this story in her book was a good idea?!?

And for those trying to defend this by saying some dogs are dangerous and can't be helped, and killing it is the best out of all the bad options, you are completely missing the point.

1. Hire professional trainer. If they conclude the dog is untrainable and dangerous, and there is no more that can be done, go to step 2. If money is low and/or time is short, can go straight to step 2.

2. See if someone else wants to give it a try in a new home, fully disclose the issues. Post on craigslist and/or pet adoption websites. If no one is found, go to step 3.

3. Contact a shelter and see if they are willing to try to find it a home after explaining the story. If no, go to step 4.

4. Ask a vet to euthanize the animal in a safe and humane way after explaining the story. Usually the non-psychopath will feel very sad at this point, they gave it their best, but in the end little Cricket just wasn't meant for this world.

As far as we can tell, the governer didn't even make it to step one and seemingly felt nothing for the dog.

Step 5
Recognize that dog care is beyond your abilities. Don't even think about getting another one.

Since proper care for a dog is beyond your abilities do not think that you are capable of running a government.

Tom

That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. Are you possibly being sarcastic?
Nope, RVonse genuinely believes evolution is an individual case by case thing and not broad reaching trends that occur over the course of hundreds or thousands of years.
Well, if there is one thing MAGAtards are famous for, it's their appreciation of subtlety and nuance. My favourite conspiracy theory about Commander is that because he's a German Shepard, he can smell which Secret Service agents are the ones...medicated whilst on the job.

And for those trying to defend this by saying some dogs are dangerous and can't be helped, and killing it can be the best out of all the bad options, you are completely missing what makes this story distrubing.

4. Ask a vet to euthanize the animal in a safe and humane way after explaining the story. Usually the non-psychopath will feel very sad at this point, they gave it their best, but in the end little Cricket just wasn't meant for this world. They will often make the burial of the dog a family event as well.

As far as we can tell, the governer didn't even make it to step one and seemingly felt nothing for the dog (other than a lot of hate, in her own words). On top of that, somehow thought that telling this story in her book was a good idea?!?
There are different cultural attitudes towards dogs: Western, Islamic, Indian. Some Koreans still make soup out of them. Similarly, there are different attitudes towards dogs in rural areas than in suburban homes.

From the AP story, it's a fair assumption KN has trained other dogs to hunt. If not, if someone else did it for her, then yes, she should have sent this one to whomever trained the others as she was willing to spend the money on them, then why not this one. I don't think that was the case though. She has probably trained others and this one may have been viewed as being mentally ill and would never be able to perform the job it was meant for. Again, let's not project our spare no expense, member of the family attitude upon others. Some just see a dog.

Some cultures would place the life of a dog more on par with that of the chickens, others would place them more on par with that of a human. Who's right? Who's wrong? Who knows? To some, the dog is to perform a job, be it hunting or security. Some cultures wouldn't think of petting a dog or having it in the home. But then others treat them as family members and would spare no expense in maintaining their health and well-being.

To me, the amount of time and money a person wants to spend on a pet, any pet is their concern. Just don't release it and make it society's concern when you've grown bored, it's become an inconvenience, or is too expensive to maintain. I've seen this with horse owners in the western US where feeding a horse can be much more expensive due to the lack of rain. They are in over their heads on the costs. Now what?

But it had bit her.

I haven’t read her book and don’t intend to.

Dog bites sometimes are the result of an unstable dog. Sometimes, such dogs cannot be made safe. But sometimes, and probably more often, a dog bite is the result of bad handling by the human or being put in an overly stressful situation. A bite does not mean a dog must be destroyed. Repeated biting: depends.
Too bad the dog didn't shoot first and say his owner wasn't a viable owner, and the dog was in the running for VP.

Back
Top Bottom