• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

South Dakota governer executed her puppy because she didn't like it

A decent human being would have offered up the dog as a family pet, not on a farm where it might encounter the same drive to go after chickens. Certainly not have put it down in front of a construction crew and bragged about it in a book.
But it had bit her.

I do agree that she horribly mismanaged the situation but I don't think it was suitable as a pet at that point. Where she went wrong was allowing it to reach that point.
I haven’t read her book and don’t intend to.

Dog bites sometimes are the result of an unstable dog. Sometimes, such dogs cannot be made safe. But sometimes, and probably more often, a dog bite is the result of bad handling by the human or being put in an overly stressful situation. A bite does not mean a dog must be destroyed. Repeated biting: depends.
Reminds me of the time my dog bit my friend's young daughter. He was house-sitting for me, and she came out of the bedroom crying. He asked what happened. Turns out, the kid was "playing" with the dog by pulling on her ears, and she snapped at her. Didn't "attack" her or even break the skin. Just a reaction. Did my friend shoot the dog? No, because she was just protecting herself. If she'd bit the kid for no reason and did it more than once, it would have been another matter.

When wonder was about 4 months old she bit me. I ignored it (despite pain and some broken skin) and kept doing what I was doing. She started to struggle, and I held her until she relaxed. Today I did the exact same thing: grabbed her while she was lying on the bed and rolled her over. She whipped around and grabbed my hand, but super gently. When I rolled her she went nuts kicking the air, snapping and wriggling, all with the biggest smile on her face. Then leapt off the bed and had a full zoomie fit. I had to give myself props for not reacting that time a year and a half ago. The trust level now has no limits.
Dogs bite. If you can’t deal with that, you don’t deserve a dog.

And for those trying to defend this by saying some dogs are dangerous and can't be helped, and killing it can be the best out of all the bad options, you are completely missing what makes this story distrubing.

Steps a non-psychopath takes before resorting to killing their dog:

1. Hire professional trainer. If they conclude the dog is untrainable and dangerous, and there is no more that can be done, go to step 2. If money is low and/or time is short, can go straight to step 2.

2. See if someone else wants to give it a try in a new home, fully disclose the issues. Post on craigslist and/or pet adoption websites. If no one is found, go to step 3.

3. Contact a shelter and see if they are willing to try to find it a home after explaining the story. If no, go to step 4.

4. Ask a vet to euthanize the animal in a safe and humane way after explaining the story. Usually the non-psychopath will feel very sad at this point, they gave it their best, but in the end little Cricket just wasn't meant for this world. They will often make the burial of the dog a family event as well.

As far as we can tell, the governer didn't even make it to step one and seemingly felt nothing for the dog (other than a lot of hate, in her own words). On top of that, somehow thought that telling this story in her book was a good idea?!?
There are different cultural attitudes towards dogs: Western, Islamic, Indian. Some Koreans still make soup out of them. Similarly, there are different attitudes towards dogs in rural areas than in suburban homes.

From the AP story, it's a fair assumption KN has trained other dogs to hunt. If not, if someone else did it for her, then yes, she should have sent this one to whomever trained the others as she was willing to spend the money on them, then why not this one. I don't think that was the case though. She has probably trained others and this one may have been viewed as being mentally ill and would never be able to perform the job it was meant for. Again, let's not project our spare no expense, member of the family attitude upon others. Some just see a dog.

Some cultures would place the life of a dog more on par with that of the chickens, others would place them more on par with that of a human. Who's right? Who's wrong? Who knows? To some, the dog is to perform a job, be it hunting or security. Some cultures wouldn't think of petting a dog or having it in the home. But then others treat them as family members and would spare no expense in maintaining their health and well-being.

To me, the amount of time and money a person wants to spend on a pet, any pet is their concern. Just don't release it and make it society's concern when you've grown bored, it's become an inconvenience, or is too expensive to maintain. I've seen this with horse owners in the western US where feeding a horse can be much more expensive due to the lack of rain. They are in over their heads on the costs. Now what?
Is it really sparing no expense to post the puppy on craigslist and pet adoption websites, and contacting some shelters to try to find it a new home and, having no success, contacting a vet to euthanize it?

Purebred wirehaired pointers are desirable in the marketplace, I really doubt there would've been any trouble finding it a home.

Reminds me of the time my dog bit my friend's young daughter. He was house-sitting for me, and she came out of the bedroom crying. He asked what happened. Turns out, the kid was "playing" with the dog by pulling on her ears, and she snapped at her. Didn't "attack" her or even break the skin. Just a reaction. Did my friend shoot the dog? No, because she was just protecting herself. If she'd bit the kid for no reason and did it more than once, it would have been another matter.
Yeah, that's clearly provoked. Provoked bites aren't an issue. However, I read this one as the dog bit because it didn't like being stopped. That's a dominance issue and a big problem.

Yeah, that's clearly provoked. Provoked bites aren't an issue. However, I read this one as the dog bit because it didn't like being stopped. That's a dominance issue and a big problem.
It could be. We are also getting the side from the person that killed the dog because it wasn't useful to her, and says that proves her leadership qualities.

It could be. We are also getting the side from the person that killed the dog because it wasn't useful to her, and says that proves her leadership qualities.
Pulling out a bit...the idea of "leadership qualities" on the right is rapidly becoming "if this dog (or Senator) isn't useful to me, I'm gonna take it out back and find a better one."

Even after watching Trump savage and discard each and every one of the "very best people" he hired for his first administration, Noem is still charging hard to get a nod from a guy who has stiffed so many hangers-on that the only attorney he can get is a parking garage lawyer.

The Governor has done the math and figured that aligning herself with Trump and risking that he'll dump her in a heartbeat when the lights come on at closing time is worth it. Even if she didn't pop a cap in a dog, that should be disqualifying for any remotely informed voter.

Possibly they see this as a Devin Nunes thing. How much money could he possibly make in this DJT Media scam? But he'd be one of the only to walk out of this better than before. Nikki Haley had managed to survive and be stronger after her stint in the UN, but that gave her to currency in the primaries. And no one else has been better for serving with or for this guy.

This is a MAGA governor of South Dakota. She is learning very quickly what plays well in South Dakota does not play well in the much of the world.

This is a MAGA governor of South Dakota. She is learning very quickly what plays well in South Dakota does not play well in the much of the world.
I doubt this would play well in South Dakota. Just because the people are mostly rural doesn't mean they are assholes.

There was a lot of discussion about this dog this morning on "Morning Joe". The conclusion was that she bragged about what she mentioned it in her book because the MAGA cult likes cruelty. I think they may have hit the nail on the head. Trump has never had a pet and don't seem to like dogs or cats, so she probably thought that killing the dog instead of trying to find him a new home or a better trainer would please the leader of the MAGA cult.

From what I've read, even a lot of Republicans are pissed off about what she did. I don't think she will remain on the list of potential VP running mates for sicko Donnie.

I doubt this would play well in South Dakota. Just because the people are mostly rural doesn't mean they are assholes.
True, but they keep electing this alleged human.

After shooting her dog, Noem writes that she also killed a goat her family owned that she calls "nasty and mean." She describes the goat as being a "problem for years," writing that male goats "urinate on their own heads and beards while in rut" and that the specific goat loved to chase her kids, scaring them.

How neglectful. She leaves her chickens with an in-training hunting dog and her children with an aggressive goat. Dog kills chickens. *BAM* Goat chases children *BAM* Thank Jeebus the children didn't chase each other.

Depends on the definition. If I'm a macho, gun-toting, anti-intellectual am I an asshole?

There was a lot of discussion about this dog this morning on "Morning Joe". The conclusion was that she bragged about what she mentioned it in her book because the MAGA cult likes cruelty. I think they may have hit the nail on the head. Trump has never had a pet and don't seem to like dogs or cats,

Now, now. He's got pets. His mangy, shaggy dog's name is "Steve Bannon," and he even has a pet venomous snake named "Stephen Miller."

I read this one as the dog bit because it didn't like being stopped. That's a dominance issue and a big problem.
Dominance issue - perhaps. Big problem? Not likely. 14 mos is about when a person with a puppy bred to control cattle or sheep for instance, should anticipate a possible confrontation. It's just what they do as they mature - other organisms have to establish the relationship, or control is their default. If the dog gets physical, all that is generally needed is one good demonstration.
Sometime a single really loud word or sound can shake them out of it. Sometimes you have to get physical, hold them down and make them submit. If that isn't done with certain dogs, the impulsive biting behavior isn't mitigated. The good news is that it is (SHOULD be) a one-time in a lifetime lesson. We had a golden/shepherd mix long ago who suddenly developed a nipping habit, right when he was getting full grown 80lbs.
On a recommendation, I put some pennies in a coca cola can and when Sammy came after me (there were open stairs, and eye level for the pup was around the steps 2-3) and when he was about to go for my ankle I shook the can violently right next to his head. I didn't know a dog could jump that far backward from an aggressive stance. Not only did he never attack a foot or ankle on the stairs again, he became easy to tell to lay off it whenever he had the urge to go after feet. He completely outgrew it over the next year or so.

I think appropriate response to a 14 month old depends on the dog, circumstances, the timing of the response and a lot of other things. But shooting the dog has to be THE most chickenshit thing in the world, and bragging about it is in the top ten most deplorable things I can think of without Dolt45 coming to mind.

Angel (the heeler) and Seven ca 20 yrs ago:

angel&sev.jpg

Bigtime biter. Gave some stitches to Mrs E one time (not all the dog's fault; she was defending against a mistakenly perceived threat to Mrs. E) but The Best Dog in so many ways...

There was a lot of discussion about this dog this morning on "Morning Joe". The conclusion was that she bragged about what she mentioned it in her book because the MAGA cult likes cruelty. I think they may have hit the nail on the head. Trump has never had a pet and don't seem to like dogs or cats,

Now, now. He's got pets. His mangy, shaggy dog's name is "Steve Bannon," and he even has a pet venomous snake named "Stephen Miller."
The thing is, Bannon and Miller think Trump is the pet. Or puppet. He’s definitely the useful idiot, with increasingly heavy emphasis on the idiot part.

Which is why his party is willing to back him. He’s too cognates impaired and too self- involved while being utterly in-self aware to realize that he’s entirely a puppet to them. I’m fairly certain that before the midpoint in a second term, they would have him declared incompetent or have Melania play Mrs.Wilson ( or someone else). They just want someone, anyone that the idiot masses will vote for so that they can establish a theocracy. All the better a truck of their head is so obviously and utterly morally corrupt.

I think appropriate response to a 14 month old depends on the dog, circumstances, the timing of the response and a lot of other things. But shooting the dog has to be THE most chickenshit thing in the world, and bragging about it is in the top ten most deplorable things I can think of without Dolt45 coming to mind.
She must be an ignoramus to put a dog down at that age for such behavior. Dogs at that age can be notoriously unpredictable and their behavior can change in a day. If you aren't aware or prepared to intervene you shouldn't even have a dog. What a stupid fucking bitch. How brave of her to shoot the dog. Such courage on her part.

Back
Top Bottom